For Your Information and Comfort During the Current Health Concern
Aside from maintaining health and wellness as the most integral priority, we at Melange want to help ensure that you, our team and our business continue to be minimally impacted by the current health concern.
At Melange we practice top-notch sterilization and sanitation. We always have, and always will! In our 12+ years of business Melange has never had a violation for sterilization or sanitation from AHS. Not once in over 12 years! We wash our hands and disinfect and sterilize our equipment. We also clean with alcohol and anti-microbial cleaners. Again, we always have and always will!
With wellness as one of Melange’s core values, the health and well-being of our people; customers, team members and families is a top priority. We think the best way to help ensure that is to practice great salon and personal hygiene always — not just during this public health concern, but always. This is a great example of why beauty professionals are licensed and that salons are regulated, inspected and have oversight by a provincially regulated body. It’s all there to ensure that the health and safety of everyone in the salon environment and the public are protected.
As long as we are all are practicing safety and hygiene precautions, Health Canada and AHS has maintained business as usual.
While Health Canada and the AHS have shared that for most of the Canadian and Albertan public, the immediate health risk is considered low, below is a list of practices we are following and recommending to help prevent the spread of COVID-19, as well as seasonal colds and flu, based on collective information from Health Canada, AHS and the World Health Organization (WHO):
- Washing Hands: Health Canada recommends washing hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds to help prevent the spread of germs. We wash or disinfect hands before and after clients, after eating, using the restroom, and after coughing, sneezing or nose blowing. We also use 70% alcohol sanitizer at our desk and some stations (what we were able to restock!)
- Disinfection: AHS directs that proper cleaning and disinfection are mandatory at all times — from tools and implements to areas with counter tops, treatment rooms, back bars, reception areas, and styling stations. We are strictly following this — wiping down busy areas often with disinfectant cleaners.
- Hands Off: We love you and your family, and we love hugs and handshakes! During this time, shaking hands or giving hugs to our clients and co-workers is not a good idea. We’re practicing good hygiene and following the Health Canada “hands off” protocol to help keep everyone healthy. For all of us, keeping your hands “off” and away from your face, as that’s an easy path for transmission.
- Staying Home: Keep your immune system strong — lots of vitamin C, restful sleep, and drink ample water. However, if you get sick, Health Canada and the AHS strongly recommend to stay home. At Melange we are offering a “sickness cancellation policy” that does not penalize any customer for cancelling their appointment due to illness. We ask if you are feeling ill to please reschedule – take care of yourself and your family. This protects our staff and all our lovely guests.
- Well-stocked Salon: Our salon has tissue, soap, and alcohol-based hand cleansers to encourage healthful habits.
- Health Canada/AHS: Follow them for facts as they become available — this continues to be the best source for information; https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health.html https://www.albertahealthservices.ca/
As a reminder:
- Wash hands frequently.
- Don’t touch eyes, nose, or mouth.
- Don’t share food or drinks.
- Stay at least three feet away from anyone who is coughing or sneezing.
- Cough and/or sneeze into your elbow.
Any questions: We are here to help. Email email@example.com or call us anytime: (780)465-2425
Historically, Melange Salon + Spa and the professional beauty industry, has thrived, even through challenging times. At Melange, we are doing everything we can to lead the way in personal care for our customers, community and the beauty industry.
Be Your Best Self!
The Melange Salon + Spa Team
- USING HEAT TOO OFTEN
Heat is one of the most common sources of damage that we tend to engage with the most on a consistent basis. It’s important to use a heat protectant product and be sure that the heat isn’t turned higher than needed. Every now and then, don’t be afraid to let your hair air dry, or wait until your hair is at least halfway dry before grabbing your styling tool. We suggest using a leave-in treatment like KEVIN.MURPHY’s LEAVE-IN.REPAIR to protect your hair from heat while preventing breakage and nourishing it with ingredients such as Jojoba Seed Oil, Green Pea Protein and Bamboo Leaf Extract.
- NOT USING THE RIGHT HAIR PRODUCTS
Not all hair products have the same result from one person to the next. We believe your hair is as unique as you are, so it’s important to use a proper at-home care regimen suited to your unique hair and desired results in order to let your hair live to its fullest potential. We love using KEVIN.MURPHY’s REPAIR regimen with the weekly use of a cleansing conditioner such as RE.STORE, to pack your hair with powerful ingredients like Pineapple Fruit Extract, Papaya Enzymes and Green Pea Protein that will replenish and rebuild the hair shaft.
- NOT PROTECTING YOUR HAIR IN THE SUN
As much as we love being out in the sun, it can be very damaging to our hair. Be sure to protect your hair as much as possible from direct sunlight and harmful UV rays by giving your hair some rest in the shade or by wearing a hat in order to avoid drying out your locks and fading your hair colour.
Speaking of colour, consistently bleaching and colouring your hair can be very damaging to your hair and scalp, depending on how often you go and what service you receive. Since many of us can’ go without colouring our hair, we suggest opting for a high performance, natural, Ammonia free colour range in order to maintain the integrity of your hair and scalp. Ask us about using COLOR.ME by KEVIN.MURPHY, to colour your hair while protecting and nourishing it with ingredients like Shea Butter, Honey and Pomegranate. COLOR.ME is also Ammonia free and PPD free to eliminate the need for harsh chemicals that are typically used to lift and lighten the hair.
- FORGETTING TO DETOX
Like your skin, your scalp needs a little detox every so often. MAXI.WASH is a colour-safe exfoliating wash that gently cleanses and detoxifies your hair, removing excess mineral and product buildup with extracts from Pineapple, Papaya and Citrus. It’s important to use a detoxifying wash at least once a week to remove build-up and brighten up dull hair.
- POOR LIFESTYLE HABITS
Good hair and a healthy scalp are a result of taking care of your body from the inside. Be sure to stay hydrated and include vitamins and minerals in your regular diet to help nourish your hair from the inside to fight off any free radicals that can cause unwanted damage to your hair. In addition, getting enough sleep and making other positive lifestyle changes can have a noticeable impact on your hair.
- NOT BEING GENTLE WITH YOUR HAIR
We often forget just how delicate our hair is, especially when it’s wet or already suffering from breakage and damage. Opt for a wide-toothed comb, or Wet Brush that won’t pull or snag your strands. We like using TEXTURE.COMB to neaten your hair and control frizz and fly-aways while maintaining the natural texture and movement in your hair. Additionally, avoid pulling your hair in tight styles, which over time can weaken your locks and lead to breakage.
While temps are just beginning to dip and seasonal favorites are starting to be seen everywhere, we are beginning to dream about the holidays. Hot cups of dark chocolate cocoa, snow on the ground, our favorite holiday sweaters and the KEVIN.MURPHY stocking stuffers you anxiously wait for all year long. With a plethora of new promo packs coming your way, it sounds like Santa and his elves have been pretty busy this year. The only thing better than getting them around the holidays would be getting your hands on them now!
Let’s face it; all anyone wants for Christmas is voluminous hair. Whether you’ve got fine, skinny strands, or a thick mane looking for an extra boost of volume, ANGEL.WASH and RINSE are the perfect duo to take your strands to new heights. This weightless combo paired with BODY.MASS, a light leave-in plumping spray, will have the guests at your holiday party talking about your hair… not who you are kissing under the mistletoe!
THE BEST OF MEN’S
It’s time to spoil the ones you love the most, and what better way to do that than by giving your gents the “Best of Men’s” from KEVIN.MURPHY? Here’s what’s included: SHAVE.CREAM infused with Sandalwood that will leave skin feeling smooth and hydrated. STIMULATE-ME.WASH and RINSE, a refreshing duo for hair and scalp that is packed with Camphor Crystals, Bergamot Mint, and Black Pepper to awaken the scalp and reinvigorate hair growth. Plus, finish off this masculine makeover with NIGHT.RIDER texture paste, proven to give your style a strong hold.
HYDRATE AND REPAIR
No matter the season, most of us could use a little extra moisture and repair for our strands. HYDRATE-ME.WASH and RINSE contain Hydrolysed Silk Extracts to instantly smooth the surface while sealing in moisture. Vitamins A, E and C in this duo lock in added moisture to create a soft, shiny, silky feel and a sensual touch. Double down on your repair with KEVIN.MURPHY LEAVE-IN.REPAIR. With Superfood proteins derived from Green Peas and extracts from Bamboo and Jojoba Seed Oil to nourish, strengthen and repair your hair so it’s ready for all your holiday festivities!
Do your strands need a serious helping hand? Hair colour and heat styling can leave hair damaged and brittle. This pack is the perfect present to fix your strands just in time for the Carolers and Eggnog. REPAIR-ME.WASH is a reconstructing shampoo with powerful protein from Bamboo and Silk Amino Acids that work to strengthen hair while gently removing impurities. REPAIR-ME.RINSE, a strengthening conditioner, seals the deal with Shea Butter and Aloe Vera extracts to gently lubricate hair strands to protect from further damage, enhance manageability and provide a reflective shine for dull hair. Like a satin ribbon on a perfectly wrapped package, YOUNG.AGAIN will make your strands shine bright. This weightless leave-in treatment oil infused with immortelle to counteract the oxidation and ageing process.
This new goodie from KEVIN.MURPHY will make sure your holidays are on a roll. The new ROLLER.BALL featured in 3 intoxicating aromas will have you ready to get out on the town:
– Noir, the aroma of BEDROOM.HAIR
– Nouveau, the spicy smell of SHIMMER-ME.BLONDE
– OPULENT the iconic aroma found in YOUNG.AGAIN.
Extend your KEVIN.MURPHY sensory experience with our Limited Edition rollerball aromas. It is the perfect accessory to take with you wherever you may go this holiday season!
You and your BFF will shine this holiday season with SHIMMER.SISTERS. SHIMMER.SHINE and SHIMMER-ME.BLONDE revive shine and repair hair with a wide range of vitamins and natural ingredients leaving strands brighter than the twinkle lights you still have up from last year.
They say blondes have more fun… and we’d have to agree, especially when you add natural texture to the equation! Natural hair is all the rage and what better what to pump yours up that with KEVIN.MURPHY POWDER.PUFF! Made up of Seaweed Extracts from France along with Extracts from Apples, Plums, Cranberries and Citrus create this unique powder volumiser. Want to keep your blonde bright? The lavender infused colour enhancing BLONDE.ANGEL.WASH and TREATMENT will keep your colour on point whether you are blonde, grey, or looking to loose the brass from brunette strands. Optical brighteners will rescue dulled colour and restore your brilliant shine.
With all of this holiday cheer coming your way, it will be hard not to look and feel fabulous this holiday season. Get a jump start on the holiday cheer and be sure to check out these KEVIN.MURPHY product packs at Melange, that are sure to make your holiday, and your hair, shine bright.
Enhance any luxurious bath with essential oils, Epsom salts, and coconut oil!
This winter, Melange has added a dozen new scents to its famous line of homemade, all natural bath bombs from the Bath Bomb Company! Enjoy the following scents, and let us know which one is your favourite!
- Awaken– A top seller, the invigorating scent of Lemongrass will uplift your senses!
- Candy Cane– Nothing says Christmas quite like this sweet treat! Peppermint Oil helps relieve tense muscles & headaches!
- Home Sweet Home– Cinnamon & Sweet Orange bring home the warmth & sweetness we have all come to love!
- Joy To The World– An amazing blend of Peppermint & Patchouli- a true mood booster & anti-inflammatory!
- Just Say Spahhh!– Enriched with Rosemary & Peppermint essential oil, this bath bomb has antimicrobial & antiseptic qualities that can aide in the elimination of eczema, dermatitis, oily skin & acne!
- Keep Calm– … and Carry On with this blend of Rosemary & Sweet Orange! Chill out & feel the tension melt away!
- Miracle Mustard– Loaded with Mustard Seed, Rosemary, Eucalyptus, and Lemon oil, this bath bomb will invigorate your body, mind, and soul leaving you feeling renewed! Mustard Seed can also help with minor muscle aches and pain.
- Silent Night– Relax and unwind in a tub filled with Lavender & Cedarwood, a great oil for those who suffer from arthritis.
- Stress Less– With winter comes the common cold; clear your sinuses and relax with this Eucalyptus bath bomb that also relieves tension.
- Sweet Dreams– Known to relieve stress, reduce anxiety, and improve sleep, this French Lavender-infused bath bomb is perfect for reducing holiday stress!
- Very Berry– A favourite among our youngest clients, this sweet & luscious bath bomb is infused with Vitamin C!
- Zen– When you need a little “Om” in your life, just add Zen! This blend of Lavender & Lime makes for a renewing and relaxing soak!
Turns out Santa has an even more important list besides that one about your kids being naughty or nice. He popped in for a beard trim, must have dropped a copy (oops) and now we’re passing it along to you, in the hopes it can brighten and lighten your holiday season.
You’re stressed, sure. But Santa’s gotta be more stressed and yet he’s still so jolly. So here’s his secret self care checklist and maybe we can all learn a thing or two for the holidays.
- Don’t just bake cookies, eat them too
- Have full belly laughs at least twice a day (none of this half guffaw stuff)
- Drink at least five glasses of water in addition to milk
- Tell Mrs Claus and the reindeer how much I love, adore and appreciate them
- Keep the sleigh maintained to avoid any last minute breakdowns
- Get the elves to keep the toy shop organized (clutter stresses me out)
- Take a 6-8 hour nap each night leadingup to the big one
- Get lots of hugs from kids who love me
- Onlywrite cheques I can cash
- Be easy on myself (maybe I need a helper for the Northern Hemisphere?)
- Let the naughty list go (you can’t fix people)
There you have it. Santa’s not so secret Self Care Checklist has a couple gems!
Here at Melange, we’re encouraging everyone to prioritize themselves during the holiday season and we’re making sure we’re stocked up on bath bombs! Often we get so carried away by trying to make everything perfect for the people we love around us that we forget to fill up our own cup first. This December, why not take some space and time for yourself? If nothing on Santa’s checklist resonated with you, we have several holiday offers to make your cup overfloweth.
Hope to see you soon + happy holidays!
By Karla Gjini
IT TAKES TWO! MAGNETIC LASHES – 100% Handmade Silk Magnetic Lashes
Love wearing lashes, but don’t like the mess of glue? Don’t have the time or money to get professional extensions? TOK beauty has your affordable and effortless solution!
IT TAKES TWO! by TOK beauty
- 100% Handmade Silk Magnetic Lashes
- Multiple uses with proper care
- 25 cm in length with 3 magnets for a full, dramatic, yet natural look
- Completely safe – NO toxins. You don’t have to worry about damaging your natural lashes.
- Made in Canada!
**Refunds not available for sanitary reasons – we promise you will love them!
Remember that practice makes perfect:
On behalf of the 43 Albertans who hear the words “you have cancer” everyday, thank you helping us accelerate change and for honouring Alberta’s cancer patients with your generous gift. It takes 8-12 hair donations of untreated human hair, and upwards of $1800 to create only one wig! Let’s get donating and help someone special feel like themselves again!
We have all known a few people close to us diagnosed with cancer, and although, they are, or were, some of the strongest and most beautiful people we will know, we can’t even begin to understand how difficult their journey through this disease must have been.
Our goal is to help remind women and young girls just how beautiful and brave they truly are. To make them feel like themselves again, by donating both hair and funds to create wigs.
There are lots of different ways you can donate! You can choose to donate money, or choose to donate your hair yourself!
On Saturday, October 21 we are having our second Cancer Hair Donation Event! Get your hair cut for FREE when you donate eight inches minimum of healthy, uncolored non-chemically treated hair! Last year you donated countless inches and $144! Let’s top that this year.
10% of all other haircutting services that day will also be donated.
We donate the hair through Pantene’s Beautiful Lengths because they are directly affiliated with the Canadian Cancer Society. Please contact us if you have any questions, or if you wish to help us with our fundraiser.